Wednesday, December 29, 2010

dull dull day brightened

















today was one of the dullest, dismal days of the year - foggy, misty and wet with showers and nil nil light so it was somewhat ironic that I bumped into 3 Waxwings that actually stayed in the same spot for over an hour -- I took a few shots simply because they were there but expected little in the way of images so I guess these are a bonus;  2 first winters and a stunning adult male -- I heard a call from the male that I have never witnessed before a quiet low pitched chatter totally different to the usual calls

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you persevered with the weather and light! What gorgeous shots! And beautiful birds.

KaHolly said...

You were absolutely correct when you used the word 'stunning'! These are some of the most wonderful captures I have seen. I have been visiting TX for the past 2 months and just yesterday as I walked through the backyard, I heard them, looked up, and there they were, 14 beauties flying over the yard to a nearby neighbor's tree. For me, an "ahhhh" moment. And a new species to add to my TX list. I read somewhere that they are called 'waxwings' because they are so beautiful, they look as though they've been cast in wax. (sorry to be so wordy)~karen